Sometimes you get a big-time wake-up call that it’s time to replace your roof shingles in the form of a drip right above your pillow in the morning. Other times you just start to realize your 15-year roof is at about 14 years 9 months.
It is possible to just repair your roof shingles sometimes. This may be in cases such as damage in one area due to a fallen tree or a few shingles lifting off at a roof joint. In these cases, repairing just this section makes sense. However, when there are signs that the whole roof is reaching the end of its lifespan, it’s time to consider replacing it.
Whatever the signs, replacing your roof is one of the most important home maintenance steps that you can undertake. When a roof is left too long in poor shape, it can lead to expensive water damage and mold issues.
Use these signs to know that it’s time to replace and not just repair your roof shingles:
- When did you (or a previous owner) last do the roof? Many roofs are rated for 15-20 years, so if you are approaching the end of their lifespan, it’s time to start searching for a roofer who can replace the shingles.
- You may see flaking from the roof around the exterior of your house. The gravel from your asphalt shingles may show blue, gray, or black pebbles around the house or in your gutter. This means the integrity of the shingles is breaking down.
- With every storm, you get more and more anxious. If you’ve noticed some minor leaks or a shingle flying off in the wind here or there, it likely means that the roof is starting to suffer enough wear as to lose some of its stability.
- Does it seem like your heat and air are not working as well as before? That’s likely because you’re losing some of the roof’s insulating qualities as it wears. You might even notice this in higher electric or oil bills. Installing a new roof will give you a chance to re-insulate for better efficiency.
- It just looks bad. Shingles are crooked. There is major fading. You can tell the difference between a roof that is in good shape and one that has seen better days. If it looks that bad, how well do you think it’s doing its job protecting your home? Improve the look and function of your home with new shingles.
If it’s time to stop repairing and start replacing those roof shingles, The Roof Doctors are here to help. With over 25 years of Portland roof replacement work, we’re ready to help restore the integrity and look of your roof. Call or text us at (207) 772-2719 today!