Approximately, 75% of all homes in North America have shingle roofs, making them the most popular roofing material. But what makes asphalt shingles so popular? Here are 4 reasons people choose asphalt shingles. With proper installation, shingle roofs can protect your home for decades.
4 Reasons People Choose Asphalt Roof Shingles
1. They are an affordable roofing option. Asphalt shingles are one of the least expensive materials compared to other options like metal panels or clay tiles.
They are easy to install, repair, and maintain which also helps lower the cost and offer a high return on investment.
2. They are durable and long-lasting. These roof shingles are designed to protect your home from rain, wind, snow, hail, and falling debris.
Class A shingles are even fire-resistant. When shingles are expertly installed and well-maintained, they have a lifespan of up to 20 years.
3. Wide variety of styles and colors. The three main types of shingles are strip shingles, dimensional shingles, and premium shingles. You can find shingles that look like slate, tile, or even wood.
There are different shapes available such as scalloped or square. Shingles are also available in many colors from beiges and browns, to blues, blacks, and greens, and everything in between.
4. Shingles are energy efficient. Many of today’s modern shingles are designed with highly reflective granules that reflect solar heat. This lowers the roof’s temperature and reduces the heat transferred into your home, ultimately lowering cooling costs.
Choosing Shingles for Your Roof
The number of options available for roof shingles may be overwhelming, but here are some things to consider when choosing shingles for your home.
● Choose a shingle style and color that complements your home’s architecture and color. You also may want to consider the type of shingles your neighbors have and choose a color that will fit in well.
● Research shingles with a good warranty. Ideally, you want to choose shingles with at least a 25-year warranty.
● For the best protection and longest lifespan, choose shingles made with high-quality materials. Look for top-tier brands like CertainTeed, IKO, GAF, and Owens Corning.
Work with a professional roofing contractor to help you choose the best shingles for your home and to ensure they are properly installed.
Professional Shingle Installation
As a roofing material, asphalt shingles are high performing, have a long lifespan, and they are quick and easy to install. However, homeowners only get the most out of these benefits if the shingles are properly installed. When you need a roof installation or shingle replacement, contact a professional roofing company, like The Roof Doctors, to get the job done right.
Before installing the shingles, The Roof Doctors team will use tarps to protect the home and landscaping. After the old shingles are removed, they inspect the roof deck and replace any rotten wood or roof flashing. Then the team expertly installs underlayments, drip edges, and the shingle of your choice.
For a quote or to schedule reliable roofing services in Southern and Central Maine, contact The Roof Doctors at (207) 772-2719.